Friday, December 2, 2011

mini art updates + random thoughts

Recently made a small flyer for the new location of California Shabu-Shabu in Santa Monica. Doubt it was used, but it's cool. First time really utilizing the pen tool to draw characters. 



 My final project for Typography class is a Letterpress inspired poster. It can be any of the following: Circus, Concert, Rodeo, Blues--as long as everything is outlined as objects and placed manually. It's a pain in the arse, but it's fun in a mind numbing way. I decided to my own made up concert. The name of the event is 'Kick It With Charon' (When one dies their spirit enters the Underworld. When they were buried, coins were placed on their eyelids so they can pay, Charon, the ferryman to transport them across the river, Styx.) This imaginary concert features musicians that have passed and some that are still living. Basically this concert is impossible, so the line between the living and the dead is blurred. These are just my roughs. I still have tons of tweaking to do, but overall I am pretty pleased with how it's coming along. I wanted to achieve that long narrow format, crammed with text and I'm getting there.






self-portrait
(b&w Conte pencil on Canson paper)

why so emo
(ink/ink wash on c.press illust. board)

Dorian.

 color update
[right now i'm in the process of applying wood stain to the bg]

Taking notes during a SSI club meeting. Whatta sad dude!

it's the best vintage shop on RetroRow! I love their collection of his work

This thing is so badass. Vintage flat files, once the property of a type foundry. Perfection. I WANT


No comments: